Arthouse Buyer’s Guide
If you are hoping to buy artwork through Arthouse 2023, please be sure to read this guide for useful information on how to participate, the registration process, terms and conditions of sale, payment, and more.
How a Timed Auction Works
A timed online-only auction is automated and takes place solely online via the Outhouse Auctions website at www.auction.outhouse.ie or via the free app, available on the App Store (for iOS) and Google Play (for Android).
All artwork will be listed on the online auction platform for 2 weeks, and buyers will be able to place bids from that time until the final bids at the end of the live auction.
The bidding for each lot is opened at a predetermined level set by the Outhouse Auctions website. When the timed auction finishes, winning bidders will be notified by email.
The timed lots will close at the specified date and time and will close in chronological order with 1 minute between each lot before it closes. Although the timed auction starts to close at a specific time, it will take 1 minute per lot to close from the first lot onwards. You can bid right up until the final lot closes.
The bidding for each lot is opened at a predetermined level set by Outhouse Auctions website, for a set period of time. When the timed auction finishes, winning bidders will be notified by email. The timed lots will close at the specified date and time and will close in chronological order with 1 minute between each lot before it closes. Although the timed auction starts to close at a specific time, it will take 1 minute per lot to close from the first lot onwards. You can bid right up until the final lot closes.
Arthouse Day 1: Saturday, 4th November – The first lot of the day (Lot 1) will close at 3:00 PM and each lot thereafter will sequentially close 30 seconds apart.
Arthouse Day 2: Sunday, 5th November – The first lot of the day (Lot number will be confirmed once auction is live) will close at 3:00 PM and each lot thereafter will sequentially close 30 seconds apart.
During the period of open bidding, you will be able to see the current highest bid on each lot. You may place a higher bid at the defined bidding increment you choose. Bidders are automatically informed by email if they are the winning bidder, or if they have been outbid by another competing bidder.
At the end of the defined bidding period, the highest bid offered is the winning bid.
Some lots, but not all, may have a reserve (a minimum price designated by the Auctioneer and Artist for which the artwork must sell). In this case, at the end of the defined bidding period, the lot is sold to the highest bid that meets the reserve.
When considering your bids, please note that a Buyer’s Premium at the rate of 12% will be added to the winning bid amount.
A Buyer’s Premium is a necessary contribution to the costs of running an art auction (including platform fees, administration, packaging and shipping, staffing, etc.).
Registration for Arthouse
In order to participate in Arthouse, you must first create an account and register to bid for each auction at www.auction.outhouse.ie.
Arthouse 2023 operates as a 2-day sale, with artwork divided across two separate auctions. You must register to bid for each auction – Arthouse Day 1 (4th November) and Arthouse Day 2 (5th November).
Please note that if you registered or bought at Arthouse 2022, you may already have an account set-up. You will still need to log in and register for the Arthouse 2023 auctions.
As Arthouse is an automated timed auction, we strongly recommend that you give yourself plenty of time to register and do not leave it until the final minutes of auction closing. It can take up to 15 minutes to register.
- Create an account at https://auction.outhouse.ie/register.
- You will need to enter your first name, last name, email address, and a password.
- You will be sent an email with a verification link. Click the link in your email to verify your account.
- A valid credit/debit card is required in order to place a bid. You can add a credit/debit card at https://auction.outhouse.ie/profile.
- A €1 charge will be used to verify your credit card.
- While logged in to your account, click the ‘Register To Bid’ button for each auction.
- Arthouse Day 1 (4th November) and Arthouse Day 2 (5th November). Links will be added once the auction is live.
If you experience any issues or difficulties with the registration process, please contact our team at email@example.com for support. Please be aware we might not have capacity to resolve any registration issues on the final days of the auction, 4th and 5th November. Please register early to avoid disappointment!
Bidding in Arthouse
To participate in the live bidding, follow the instructions below:
- Browse the lots within Arthouse Day 1 and Arthouse Day 2, and select the lot number(s) you are interested in.
- To place a bid, enter a maximum bid (i.e. what you are willing to pay for the item) and the system will bid the next incremental amount for that lot.
- If you are outbid, the system will bid again with the next incremental amount, until you have reached the maximum bid you placed.
- This process of using a maximum bid option is a feature that most online auction bidding platforms have, and it works in the same way as absentee bidding.
- If you do not wish for the system to bid automatically for you, simply enter the next incremental amount as your maximum bid.
- Note that the minimum bid required will also be outlined for each lot.
- If you have reached your maximum bid and are outbid, you will be notified immediately by email.
- To increase your bid, simply log back in and up your bid.
- When the timed auction finishes, winning bidders will be notified by email.
- The timed lots will close at the specified date and time and will close in chronological order with 1 minute between each lot before it closes.
- Although the timed auction starts to close at a specific time, it will take 1 minute per lot to close from the first lot onwards. You can bid right up until the final lot closes.
- In the last 10 minutes the lot is open for bidding, any bid activity will activate a 10 minute extension timer. Each new bid will reset the timer.
- Please be aware that other lots will continue to close as scheduled, so it is recommended to have another tab or window open (on desktop) to participate in other lots you are interested in.
- Buyer’s Premium at the rate of 12% will be added to your winning bid amount.
- An invoice will be issued by email and you can securely pay online through Stripe, our secure payment platform.
- All purchases must be paid for within 24 hours of the auction or you risk losing the lot.
Once the auction has ended, we will endeavour to arrange delivery or collection of your purchased artwork in a timely fashion.
The careful management and handling of the artwork is of utmost importance to us. As we are a small team and this is a labour-intensive process, we ask for your understanding and patience during this process.
Please note that some artists may choose to send the work directly to you. In these instances, our team will be available to assist with any queries you may have.
For all other artwork that we are in possession of, we will liaise directly with you to arrange delivery or collection.
- For buyers based in County Dublin:
- We expect all Dublin deliveries to be completed within 7 working days* from close of the live auction.
- For buyers based in the rest of Ireland:
- We expect all deliveries outside of Dublin but within the rest of Ireland to be completed within 14 working days* from close of the live auction.
- For all overseas buyers:
- We are happy to package and deliver any artworks purchased, but due to the costs associated with shipping artwork overseas, all postage costs must be covered by the buyer.
- While we will do our best to ensure timely delivery of your artwork, due to the complexity of international shipping, we cannot provide an estimated delivery timeline.
*Delivery timelines are estimates only and cannot be guaranteed. We will endeavour to keep you updated if there are any delays.
If you have any questions or concerns about the above details, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org