The Outhouse Board abides by the following Code of Conduct.
As a Board Member of Outhouse, I promise to abide by the fundamental values that underpin all the activities of our organisation.
Everything Outhouse does will be able to stand the test of scrutiny by service users, members of the public, the media, members, stakeholders and the regulatory authorities.
Integrity and Honesty
These will be the hallmarks of all conduct within Outhouse, particularly when dealing with colleagues (Board and staff) and external individuals and agencies.
Outhouse will strive to promote an atmosphere of openness throughout the organisation in order to promote confidence to service users, staff, members of the public and regulators and also to promote strategic and operational effectiveness.
I will support Outhouse’s adoption of, and compliance with, the Governance Code for Community, Voluntary and Charitable organisations and its associated implementation actions.
In addition to the above, I agree to the following:
Law, mission, policies
In my role as Board Member I will not break the law or act against any regulation in force.
I will support the organisation’s mission and actively promote it.
I will abide by organisational policy and procedure.
I will seek to maintain and promote integrity, good governance, effectiveness and efficiency for the delivery of the organisation’s mission.
Conflicts of Interest/loyalty
I will always act in the best interests of the organisation.
I will declare any conflict of interest / conflict of loyalty or any such circumstance as may be viewed by others as conflicting as soon as it arises.
I will submit to the judgment of the Board and do as it requires regarding potential conflicts of interest / loyalty.
Person to Person
- I will act with due regard to organisational policies in my relationships with fellow Board Members, staff, volunteers, service users or anyone I come into contact with in my role as Board Member.
Guardian of the organisation’s reputation
- I will not speak as a Board Member to the media or any public forum without the prior knowledge and approval of the Board.
- When I am asked to represent the organisation, any comments I make will reflect current policy even if I do not agree with them.
- When speaking as a private citizen I will aim to uphold the reputation of the organisation and those who work and volunteer for it.
- I will respect organisational, Board and individual confidentiality.
- I will take an active interest in the organisation’s public image.
- I will not personally gain from my role as a Board Member nor will I permit others to do so as a result of my actions or negligence.
- I will document expenses and seek reimbursement according to agreed procedure.
- I will not accept gifts or hospitality without the consent of the Chair.
- I will use organisational resources responsibly, when authorised in accordance with procedure.
At Board level
- I will embody the principles of good governance in all my actions and live up to the trust placed in me by Outhouse.
- I will abide by the Board governance procedures and practice.
- I will commit to attend all Board meetings. Failure to attend 2 consecutive meetings will be a matter for Board discussion and decision.
- I will strive to be familiar with all agenda items sent to me in good time and be prepared to contribute my opinions during meetings.
- I will maintain a respectful attitude to the opinions of others.
- I understand that decisions will ideally be made by consensus, but may be by vote. I will consider any majority vote as a corporate decision and will accept and support it.
- I will maintain confidentiality unless authorised to speak on matters outside of Board meetings.
I commit to supporting Outhouse’s compliance with the Governance Code for Community, Voluntary and Charitable Organisations.
I will participate in appropriate induction, training and development Board activities.
I will support the CEO in his/her executive role and the Chair in his/her leadership role.
Leaving the Board
I understand that any substantial breach of this code may result in my removal from the Board.
Should I wish to resign, I will inform the Chair in writing, stating my reasons for resigning from the Board.
I will participate in an exit interview if requested.